Supporters, allies, and friends –
Here’s the condensed version of what’s going on with the Texas abortion ban (SB 8) now in effect: nearly ALL abortions past six weeks are banned, and anyone “aiding or abetting” someone getting an abortion can be SUED for a minimum of $10,000 (which could include someone helping with financial or practical support). Under SB 8 there are no exceptions for rape or incest. This is the biggest setback to legal abortion since Roe v. Wade became law nearly 50 years ago, and the South needs your help more than ever to protect abortion access in our region.
Here are some actions you can take RIGHT NOW to protect abortion access for Southerners:
- Donate to Texas abortion funds!
- Donate to Deep South abortion funds like us!
- We are ALREADY seeing an influx of Louisiana patients scheduling appointments at the clinic we own (West Alabama Women’s Center) and that will only increase exponentially as countless Texans are forced to leave the state for care, and as clinics in our neighboring states get booked up.
- Click here to donate to Yellowhammer Fund and help ensure that folks all across the Deep South are able to access abortions.
- Urge Congress to protect abortion at the federal level!
- The Women’s Health Protection Act would codify Roe and would ban all state abortion bans permanently!
- UPDATE ON THE WHPA: The US House voted yes and PASSED the WHPA!!! Now, it goes to the US Senate for a vote.
- ***It is important to note that while the US House passed WHPA, this bill will almost certainly die in the US Senate due to the filibuster. We just wanted to put that out there to be realistic about the roadblock that this bill will likely face until the filibuster is ended. It will be impossible to advance reproductive justice unless we can dismantle these barriers to policy change at the state AND federal levels.***
- Click here to urge your US Senators to pass the WHPA.
- Keep an eye on your inbox!
- Visit www.needabortion.org for resources on accessing abortion care in Texas.
The Yellowhammer Fund Team